Open Orchards is an initiative to plant more fruit and nut trees on public land for all to enjoy.
Open Orchards encouraging planting and accesses to more fruit and nut trees on public land.
Currently the Open Orchards Group have:
1. established 6 demonstration open orchards in 2008 and planted trees on 12 sites in Nelson and Motueka in 2009
2. developed a Google map of all the existing fruit trees in public places.
3. working with Nelson City Council and Tasman City Council to identify suitable sites for future orchards
4. begun gathering information and knowledge on fruit tree varieties
5. begun developing a “what to plant where” guide for Nelson and Tasman.
6. put together a list of the region’s existing low-maintenance, high-productivity fruit and nut trees.
7. investigated running “community jam sessions” to share knowledge on utilizing excess fruits and vegetables.